Here is a quick run down of some major features and updates that we'll soon see in CentOS 6. (When it's finally released).
Filesystem & Storage:
- ext4 is now the default filesystem,
- LVM finally supports mergable snapshots - finally we can implement safe (transacted) file level replication using rsync.
- iSCSI support for root and /boot partitions
- Updated 'tickless' kernel - save power,
- Cgroups support for resource allocation amongst process group.
Web and applications:
- Apache 2.2
- MySQL 5.1.47
- PostgreSQL 8.4.4
- Memcached 1.4.4
- Ruby 1.8.7
- PHP 5.3.2
- Tomcat 6 / OpenJDK 6
More info is available from the upstream vendors website: